Friday, April 18, 2014

A Christian and Depression

In 2006 I was diagnosed as suffering from clinical depression.

I found that much of what I thought I knew about the condition was wrong . . . and there was much that I didn't know at all. 

Depressions is a disease. A mental and physical disorder. 

It is not a mood. It is not sadness, discouragement, unhappiness, or feeling "blue." 

Depression is not feeling depressed, or lonely, or negative.

For me . . . the worst part of being diagnosed as a depressant . . . was that I am a Christian.  It seemed to me to be a particular failure.  A weakness.  A thorn in the flesh. 
(2 Corinthians 12:7 "A messenger of Satan, sent to buffet me.")

Paul prayed three times to be delivered from his malady (whatever it was).  I must have prayed a thousand times for the removal of mine.  Paul got an answer to his prayers ("My Grace is sufficient for you").  I never got one . . . unless Paul's answer is mine, too.

God refused to remove his thorn . . . and mine.  So I seek Grace.

This blog is for me . . . I need to chronicle my journey since 2006 . . . and beyond.  It may be for you, too.

I have found that depression is not brought on by sin, disobedience to God, or a lack of spiritual fortitude and strength. It can be as much a part of the Believer's life as Paul's thorn was a part of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment